Re: Tamil Text Messaging in Mobile Phones

From: Sinnathurai Srivas (avarangal@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 06:13:58 EDT

OS and Uniscribe. This still requires discussion.

OS should not be allowed to make Language a static thing of the past.
At present the OS asumes that it understands the Grammar and prevents
modifications and some times make mistakes in Grammar too.

"OS should not deal with Grammar" This should be made policy for all
languages concerned. Grammar on how to write, spelling ristrictions, and
similar impediments should not be built into OS.
I guess collation need to be part of OS. I do not have a view on hoe
collation should be treated. May be some experts on this topic shed some
light.

Proposing changes to Unicode:
A Typical scenario.
I need to publish a "Pronouciation Dictionary" dictionary. There is a small
number of people using this Dictionary at present, which I made using 8bit
encoding. There are no dictionaries that can be refered for learning
pronounciation. The major Institutions does not see a need for Tamil
Pronounciation dictionary yet. But as the migration of people has become so
significant, this need have become intense. But, in countries where Tamil is
used in regular basis ther is no need. They know what they are reading. But
Tamil diaspora in theire millions scattered all over the world is in dire
need.

Would it be the duty of Unicode Consortium to lend a hand (be it
experimental) or should this be approved by major Institutions.

Sinnathurai Srivas