"Missing character" glyph

From: Martin Kochanski (unicode@cardbox.net)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 13:27:14 EDT

In writing a manual, I want to show examples of what a display looks like when a font doesn't have a particular character.

What Unicode character would best represent the "missing character" symbol?

I have looked through the Unicode Standard but not found anything that immediately springs to mind. Since missing characters are represented by hollow squares in Arial Unicode MS, I could arbitrarily pick something like U+25A1 -- but that might not look the same (in some fonts) as the "missing character" hollow square.