Re: "Missing character" glyph

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 23:40:37 EDT

Otto Stolz <Otto dot Stolz at uni dash konstanz dot de> wrote:

> Or you could use a code-point that has no
> character assigned to it (and is not likely to get one), e. g. U+03A2:
> most systems will use their respective missing-character glyphs to
> display it.

I like this last suggestion the best: if you want to see how the system
displays an unassigned code point, go ahead and try to display one.
Can't beat it for authenticity.

Otto's choice of U+03A2 is also a good one. At one time I used U+0220
and U+0221 as my canonical unassigned code points, but that wasn't very
forward-thinking; U+0220 was assigned in Unicode 3.2 and U+0221 will be
assigned in 4.0.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California