Re: Proposal (was: "Missing character" glyph)

From: Tex Texin (tex@i18nguy.com)
Date: Sun Aug 04 2002 - 13:36:24 EDT

Hi Carl,

"Carl W. Brown" wrote:
> People are starting to get used to the idea that a square box might be a
> missing character or it could just be a square box.

Reminds me that Freud said: "Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar." ;-)

OTOH if that saw:

> __
> 20
> AC
>
> they would know it is something strange and they might recognize that every
> time they saw this glyph there was a missing Euro. In any case, if they
> reported the problem a technician could tell that it was a Euro problem and
> that they might need a code page update. A company might even alert its
> people that if they see this glyph that they should call tech support for an
> update. These glyphs would be unique and not look like anything that a
> character could create.

Yes, for the proposals of new unique characters, they won't be confused
with traditional marks like bullets, etc.
All I was responding to was the sentence that a user has to know that a
character cannot be displayed.
I thought you were saying this about existing situations. If you meant
that as a requirement for a new glyph, yes I thoroughly agree it should
be distinct from anything in use today.

tex

Making e-Business Work Around the World