Re: A new word for the English language

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Aug 05 2002 - 13:06:01 EDT

Peter Constable wrote as follows.

>The fact that you perceive a need does not imply that anyone else perceives
>the same need.

That is entirely true.

>If you want to get involved in font development, you should
>learn to talk with font developers using the standard terminology with
>which they are already comfortable rather than attempting to impose a new
>and unwanted term on them.

I have not tried to impose anything upon anyone. It is not my style. I
have merely put forward some ideas. Fancy writing something like that about
someone!

>Otherwise, they'll probably get frustrated and
>start to ignore you.

Well, as I have not tried to impose anything on anyone, there is no need for
anyone to get frustrated.

If anyone wishes to ignore my research then it is their freedom to do so.

I was under the impression that we are having a discussion on a scientific
basis.

The making of a statement as to my motives and my personality by suggesting
that I am attempting to impose anything upon anyone is unfair.
Personalities are various, why not look at the Myers Briggs Type Indicator
for personality on the web and find out about the various personality types,
based upon Jungian psychology. Your assessment of my personality by using
the word impose is very wrong, in fact, in a Myers Briggs sense almost
diametrically opposite to my personality type.

Surely this discussion list should be like a research common room where
people can put forward ideas for discussion in a respectful environment.
Just because people do not agree with someone else's ideas is no reason to
start ascribing motives such as attempting to impose things on other people
onto someone.

William Overington