Re: FW: New version of TR29:

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Aug 21 2002 - 01:38:44 EDT

On 08/20/2002 08:32:53 PM "John D. Burger" wrote:

>Thus, I would have an issue
>with the argument that the apostrophe is merely part of the spelling of
>the word "hill's". There is no such word.

There certainly is such a wordform; you have used it in your illustrative
sentence. It is a phonological word, but not a morphological word, which
is the point of your illustration.

>Zwicky, Arnold M., & Geoffrey K. Pullum, 1983.

That article is a good example of careful analysis. I recall reading
another by them on a similar topic that also impressed me.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>