Re: BOM's at Beginning of Web Pages? Mac IE's Euro

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Mon Feb 17 2003 - 14:07:30 EST

    I can't explain why IE 5.2.2 is displaying the UTF-8 BOM as a Euro.
    It's important to understand that IE 5.2.x does not use Unicode for
    rendering. It takes the following approach:

    1. Convert the text from the specified character set to runs of text in
    various Mac OS encodings.
    2. Draw each text run using a font appropriate for that Mac OS encoding.

    Any character that cannot be converted into a Mac OS encoding will be
    converted into "?". If you look at the source for the Unicode home page
    in IE, you'll see that there is indeed a "?" at the beginning, as there
    is no mapping from U+FEFF to any Mac OS encoding. I have no idea why
    that is rendering as €.

    I've already written a bug against Safari that it should handle BOMs
    (browsers need to handle lots of things that are not legal HTML).

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Manager, Fonts & Unicode
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    goldsmit@apple.com