Re: FAQ entry (was: Looking for information on the UnicodeData file)

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 09:36:30 EST

    Kent Karlsson schreef:

    > Typographically, it's a ligature either way.

    You mean that both ae and ij should be called ligatures, although one is
    fused and the other isn't?
    OK, I can live with that. I'd rather the ij were called a digraph, though.

    The ij is considered by some to be one letter in Dutch, and when written
    down, an "i" and a "j" together look very much like a written y with
    diaeresis. (See fonts like Script MT.) So I can understand foreigners
    getting confused and encoding it that way (as a y with diaeresis). But it
    shouldn't.

    > For signs (on buildings) IJ is sometimes "fused".

    That may be a kerning problem.

    Pim Blokland