Re: length of text by different languages

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Fri Mar 07 2003 - 20:31:34 EST

    Ram Viswanadha wrote:

    > There is also some information at
    > http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/docs/papers/binary_ordered_compression_for_unicode.html#Test_Results
    >
    > Not sure if this is what you are looking for.

    thanks. not really. I am not look into the ratio caused by encoding. But
    rather the ratio caused by language itself. For example, in order to
    communicate the idea "I want to eat chicken for dinner tonight", French,
    German using the same encoding may use different number of characters to
    communicate the same "IDEA".
    Misha's paper help a lot. but unfortunately it lack of japanese and
    German data.