RE: Ligatures (qj)

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@md.chalmers.se)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 12:23:59 EST

    Joop Jagers:

    > The problem of overlapping glyphs should IMO not be solved by creating
    > ligatures, but by kerning the offending pairs of glyphs.

    You mean negative kerning (tweaking them apart)? That is almost certain
    to create horrible glyph spacing for many fonts.

    Note that by "ligature" we don't always mean a typographic ligature
    (nicely(?) joined "ink"), but just technically a ligature (a single
    glyph, but the "inks" for what an onlooker would see as the letters
    may be separate), or other contextual shaping that has the same effect.
    (Without creating terrible spacing effects...)

                    /kent k