Re: Ligatures (qj)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Mon Mar 10 2003 - 20:00:31 EST

    At 04:14 PM 3/10/2003, jameskass@att.net wrote:

    > > One plain text Unicode editor does implement the OpenType GPOS
    > > kerning tables, Andrew C. West's BabelPad editor:
    > > http://uk.geocities.com/BabelStone1357
    >
    >As has been called to my attention, this feature does not work
    >with the publicly available versions of Uniscribe yet,
    >unfortunately.

    Not 100% accurate. GPOS kerning is implemented in Uniscribe for Arabic,
    Syriac, Hebrew, Thaana and, I believe, Thai scripts. For the Indic scripts,
    the similar <dist> feature is implemented to provide fine tuning of e.g.
    the point at which the I matra touches down on a conjunct.

    GPOS kerning is not yet implemented in Uniscribe for other scripts,
    including Latin.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467