RE: Ligatures

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@md.chalmers.se)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 06:44:47 EST

      probably didn't come out right. I never meant to say moving the characters apart was the best solution.
      Moving only the offending accent mark rather than the entire (composite) character might help in some cases, but this
    technique also should be used with care. Like in the case of "Te", if you have a very wide T and a very small e, any
    accent on the e would end up to the far right of it if you force avoiding collision with the T. So in this case I think
    you can't help putting the e and the T further apart if the e has an accent than if it doesn't.
     Then you have kerned the T and (unaccented) e too close to begin with, which is bad (taste)...
      This also depends on the font. There is no universal solution!
    I may agree with that. But changing the kerning (relative to what is done for the base letters)
    is WAY down in the list of actions that should be taken.

            /kent k