geometric shapes

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Thu Mar 13 2003 - 11:01:08 EST

    I've got a few questions about the use of geometric shapes, like
    squares and such.
    Some of these look very similar to one another, and I don't know
    which ones to use in which circumstances!
    Are their any guidelines on their use?
    Just as an example, let's look at the squares. These come in four
    sizes: small, medium, medium small and (not specified). So my
    question is, as a writer: which one of these should I use when
    exactly? And as a font designer: what should they look like? Is a
    medium square (U+25FB) bigger or smaller than a square (U+25A1)? Are
    there any guidelines on how they should be positioned vertically,
    relative to normal text? Etc.
    The same goes for other shapes, of course. For instance, what
    criteria exist for, when creating a text, choosing between U+25B6,
    U+25B8 and U+25BA?
    Are there URLs available shich discuss these issues?

    Pim Blokland