Re: Arabic country names

From: Frank da Cruz (fdc@columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 21 2003 - 17:43:28 EST

    Edward H Trager <ehtrager@umich.edu> wrote (about how to find Arabic
    country names):

    > You need to download IBM's very thorough "International Components for
    > Unicode" library which is available under an Open Source license at:
    >
    > http://oss.software.ibm.com/icu/download/2.4/index.html
    >
    > ...there is a list, among other things, of the names of countries, spelled
    > out fully, in that language/locale, referenced by the two-letter
    > abbreviations. For the "ar.txt" file, there is a list of 18 countries...
    > The strings are in Java-style, ie: "EG { "\u0645\u0635\u0631" }".

    Thanks. I wound up writing my own program to decode the strings since
    installing new software on Unix always leads down a rabbit hole :-) Now I
    have what I hope are correct Arabic names for:

      Afghanistan, Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, India, Iran, Iraq, Jordan,
      Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia,
      Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, the United Arab Emirates, and
      Yemen.

    But I can't read Arabic so all I can say is that these names appear to be
    Arabic character strings. If anybody can check them (and/or supply others),
    I'd be grateful (e.g. which of the former Soviet Republics besides Tajikistan
    is switching over to Arabic script?)

      http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/postal.html#index

    Thanks to Edward, Roozbeh, the IBM ICU people, and others who supplied
    strings, pointers, and/or hints.

    When I have time I'll go through the other *.txt files and see what else I
    can pick up.

    - Frank