Re: CJK question

From: Chris Jacobs (c.t.m.jacobs@hccnet.nl)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 21:47:41 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Allen Haaheim" <haaheima@interchange.ubc.ca>
    To: "Chris Jacobs" <c.t.m.jacobs@hccnet.nl>
    Cc: <unicode@unicode.org>
    Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2003 1:12 AM
    Subject: Re: CJK question

    > I tried what you suggested with unipad, but for some reason it went to a
    > location on a PUA character map, rather than CJK Unified Ideographs
    > Extension B, where they are in fact located. I guess it is because Unipad
    > doesn't support Extension B yet, or else I am doing something wrong. But
    > thanks for directing me to the Unipad website, I'm sure it will be useful.

    Code points above FFFF are represented by pairs of code values in the
    Surrogates Area, not in the Private Use Area.
    Unipad should be able to show those Surrogate Area values.

    The code points of the blanks on the website are really in the PUA.

    > Here is a sample line of text with the two graphs as blanks (on my
    > machine),
    > second and third from the left. They are No. 2835C and 283B9 respectively,
    > on p.152 of the Extension B pdf:
    >
    > 心而鮮歡。望天涯而佇念,擢雄劍而長歎。

    The second and third char are U+E596 and U+E58E

    > The page this text is from is
    > http://www.chant.org/scripts/frame.asp?t=b&id=000675 I don't think
    > you'll get into the site unless you or your university is a member.

    I can access the fonts at:
    http://www.chant.org/info/download_font.asp

    Only two of the fonts work on my Windows 98 SE
    ICS3 and ICS4

    If I copy the chinese text to wordpad and change the font the second and the
    third char become chinese chars.
    But in ICS3 they look very different from ICS4