Re: Several BOMs in the same file

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Sun Mar 23 2003 - 11:25:31 EST

    Chris Jacobs schreef:

    > > guidelines for the situation where two files are joined, and the
    > > second one has a BOM, but the first one hasn't. Should the
    resulting
    > > file have a BOM?
    >
    > In that case you should seriously consider the possibility that
    the byte
    > order for both files is different!

    Good question.
    I think the safest way is to allow the concatenation routine to
    assume that a file without BOM has the native byte order for its
    platform.
    But of course, other scenarios can be thought up for different
    circumstances.
    - If no BOM, make no assumptions whatsoever and copy the file byte
    by byte.
    - If one of the files has a BOM, assume all files have the same byte
    order as that one.
    - Or indeed, check out the contents.

    Pim Blokland