Re: ANSI requires licence fees to use ISO language and country code?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 12:16:17 EST

    Peter_Constable@sil.org scripsit:

    > Given the not-complete stability of ISO 3166, some might be motivated
    > toward an alternative for other reasons.

    The numeric codes are not managed by the RA but by the UN Statistics Division,
    are freely available for any use, and are rock-stable. I recommend them.
    There are also a set of non-overlapping numeric codes for the major
    transnational regions of the world, also assigned by the UNSD.
    See http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49alpha.htm for countries
    and http://unstats.un.org/unsd/methods/m49/m49regin.htm for regions.

    But for long-term stability, nothing beats "Roma", which has designated
    the same city for the last 2756 years.

    --
    Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead               John Cowan
    of the Open Source movement.                    jcowan@reutershealth.com