Re: Characters for Cakchiquel

From: David Starner (dvdeug@fullnet.net)
Date: Thu Mar 27 2003 - 19:59:05 EST

    All I have is "The Annals of the Cakchiquels", published in 1885. I
    don't have any modern information.

    On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 03:38:15PM +0000, Michael Everson wrote:
    > Having said that, one would expect a good deal of research to be done
    > before approaching these. How many languages were they used for?

    At least Cakchiquel, Quiche, and Tzutuhil.

    > What
    > sounds do they represent?

    The tresillo is a trilled guttural. The cuatrillo is a trilled palatal,
    “between a hard _c_ and _k_”. The cuatrillo con coma is pronounced
    “somewhat like [...] ç, only more quickly and with greater force—_ds_
    or _dz_.” The unnamed tz is “exactly the same as _tz_ in German.” And
    the cuatrillo con coma followed by an h is “produced by combining the
    cuatrillo with a forcible aspirate.”

    > Do
    > they appear in casing pairs?

    Not in my book. There are examples of "I. 4atun 4hutiah qui [...]",
    where a capital letter would have been used to start the sentence, but
    the same form of the cuatrillo is used.

    --
    David Starner - dvdeug@email.ro
    Einstein once said that it would be hard to teach in a co-ed college since