Re: The text copying facility in Unicode code chart pdf files.

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Thu May 01 2003 - 14:29:08 EDT

    Doug Ewell asked as follows.

    > (Did you find Y WITH MACRON in the U+0200 block?)

    Actually, yes, both of them!

    However, the test was not that way round as what happened was that I had
    looked in the Beowulf1 font, which is not a Unicode font, and found a
    shopping list of the characters for which I was looking and so kept looking
    until I found them or exhausted the possibilities.

    I found all of the vowels in both uppercase and lowercase, with macron and
    with acute for ash, a, e, i, o, u, y. The Beowulf1 font also has a LATIN
    SMALL N WITH MACRON which I have not found in regular Unicode, though my
    immediate interest was to find the vowels.

    The glyphs are now added into the latest development version of the Quest
    text font, which is now available on the web.

    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/QUEST048.TTF

    I have also implemented the following characters.

    U+01B7, decimal 439, LATIN CAPITAL LETTER EZH

    U+0292, decimal 658, LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH

    This brings me back to the original request in this thread. I am grateful
    to you and others who have advised me of good ways to obtain the data, yet
    the ability to copy the formal name of a character from a code chart pdf
    file would be very useful as one would not then need to key it by hand
    rather than copy it directly and then check that the keying is correct.

    The reason why I have implemented the ezh characters is that there appears
    to be legacy data about where U+0292 has been used for yogh. So I
    implemented the LATIN SMALL LETTER EZH glyph in the Quest text font so that
    the ezh glyph would display rather than the default glyph of the font if
    someone tries to display such legacy data using the font. However, I am
    taking care to point out the correct codes for yogh.

    U+021C, decimal 540, LATIN CAPITAL LETTER YOGH

    U+021D, decimal 541, LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH

    The following references on the web are very useful.

    http://www.evertype.com/standards/wynnyogh/index.html

    http://www.evertype.com/standards/wynnyogh/ezhyogh.html

    Please note the dates.

    I hope that you like my glyph designs for yogh and ezh.

    Although most of the additions to the Quest text font from QUEST043.TTF to
    QUEST048.TTF are characters aimed at representing Old English (the macrons
    being a relatively recent "study of Old English" feature) yesterday I added
    a few other extra characters to the font.

    So, for anyone who likes a puzzle with a Unicode flavour, which languages
    can be set using the Quest text 048 font?

    While thinking of this puzzle, I also thought that someone with access to
    Microsoft Word could easily use the Insert | Symbol facility to detect which
    characters are in the font (though perhaps not to detect the spaces at
    U+2000 to U+200B: how can one get those into Word?) yet someone using
    WordPad might have some difficulty finding out which characters are in the
    font in the first place before then considering which languages can be set.

    Thinking about this puzzle it might have answers which come as a surprise to
    me, I think that there is at least one language possible which was not one
    for which I deliberately made specific provision, so perhaps that is an
    interesting puzzle which might lead to serendipitous learning in this
    thread.

    William Overington