Re: The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

From: William Overington (WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 04:19:12 EDT

    Arnold Winkler wrote as follows.

    > I guess, it is time again to remind Mr. Overington to read ISO/IEC TR
    15285 - An operational model for characters and glyphs. And ask font
    related questions on an appropriate mailing list.

    Well, the answer Michael gave would seem to make this a highly relevant
    question for the Unicode mailing list.

    The Unicode Consorium's document U1E00.pdf contains the following.

    quote

    The shapes of the reference glyphs used in these code charts are not
    prescriptive. Considerable variation is to be expected in actual fonts.

    end quote

    Perhaps a note needs to be added to U+1E03 LATIN SMALL LETTER B WITH DOT
    ABOVE and various other characters for Irish Gaelic (old orthography) along
    the following lines.

    Due to linguistic tradition, these dots should always be implemented in
    fonts as filled discs, even if punctuation or other accents such as
    diaeresis are implemented as, say, squares or lozenges within the font.

    Certainly I have in mind the implementing of these characters in my Quest
    text font as a result of reading this thread and wanting to be able to try
    out the test with the strings which Curtis provided and have a good result
    for Quest text. At present I get a number of copies of the default glyph of
    the font appearing. Now, Quest text implements full stops and diaeresis
    characters as squares. Yet, as a result of Michael's reply I shall override
    the general design rules of the font and use filled discs for the dots for
    these characters. There may be no apparent difference at 12 point, yet at
    larger sizes, such as 48 point and 72 point the difference would show.
    Quest text hopefully looks very stylish at 288 point.

    I feel that this was a relevant question for the Unicode list as it appears
    that perhaps the code charts do not at present convey the full information
    about the character needed by a person seeking to implement Unicode.

    William Overington