RE: Question ...

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 06:17:04 EDT

    Shaun Dippnall wrote:
    > 1. There are a few symbols that the unicode does not
    > provide.

    Which symbols? Can you describe them or send a picture?

    It is probable that the symbols are where you didn't expect to find them
    (not all mathematical symbols are in the "Mathematical Symbols" block), or
    that you didn't recognize them because, in the font used by Unicode, they
    had a shape unfamiliar to you.

    > I see that there is a Private Area - can I use this to
    > create a few symbols of my own, and, if so, how do I do
    > this. I can't find any help on this topic.

    You can do whatever you want with the Private Use Area, but you also have to
    invent *how* to do it. It is so "private", that there are almost no rules or
    guidelines for its use.

    However, if you want to use it, you normally require two things:

    1. You have to produce your own fonts and/or software to support it (and you
    must know how to do it);

    2. Everybody using your text must have and install your fonts and/or
    software (and you must know how to inform and convince them to do so).

    > 2. Only the first 200 or so Unicode symbols are displayed
    > when I run my application, if I for example ask to
    > display String s = ("\u2070"), then a square is returned.
    > Why is this the case?

    This is a simple "font problem": as far as I know, there exists no font that
    has *all* the Unicode characters. The best you can find is a font that has
    all the characters needed to you.

    More details here: http://www.unicode.org/help/display_problems.html

    _ Marco