Re: WCode

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri May 09 2003 - 12:26:55 EDT

    Theodore H. Smith wrote:
    > All scripts are encoded in logical order. (Unicode: Thai and Lao are not
    > encoded in logical order) "
    >
    > This one I'm not sure if this is possible. Some languages will order the
    > same characters differently.

    You are mixing up

    1. the order of storing coded characters in memory (where "logical" order basically means to store
    them in the order as they are spoken or otherwise logically sequenced)

    with

    2. the sorting of strings. The latter is something entirely different. See UTS #10 Unicode Collation
    Algorithm for that.

    > All in all though, it's a nice group of ideas, at least for something to
    > learn from even if not a final solution.

    Thanks, and yes, it's not intended for anything more than being a "Gedankenexperiment".

    Best regards,
    markus