Re: suggestions for strategy on dealing with plain text in potentially any (unspecified) encoding?

From: John Delacour (JD@BD8.COM)
Date: Sat May 10 2003 - 07:46:44 EDT

    At 10:56 am +0100 10/5/03, Ben Dougall wrote:

    > i'm starting to make an app in mac os x. i want to give it the
    > ability to take in plain text, in any encoding - at least the
    > standard-ish ones in use - any language though, and convert that
    > text to unicode. there's a whole array...

    This can be simply done in Applescript using the TEC osax, for which
    the source code is available.

    <http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~iimori/sw/TECOSAX.html>

    or with a few lines of code in Perl 5.8.0.

    > the text that maybe input into my app could be from anywhere - from
    > the net, wherever. plain text though (as opposed to rich / fancy
    > text). this is hard for me to judge as i'm an english speaking user
    > that haven't had much experience of other languages :/ (apart from
    > a bit of c) so i've not really had any personal experience on how
    > good or bad software is on dealing with text encoding recognition...

    Sounds like you're starting to make the wrong app !

    Multilingual styled text on the clipboard can be converted to Unicode
    with Apple Events without the help of any osax.

    JD