FW: Visual FoxPro: Mixing Engish & Kanji in a database

From: Magda Danish \(Unicode\) (v-magdad@microsoft.com)
Date: Tue May 13 2003 - 21:01:29 EDT

    Can someone on the list please help? Do make sure to copy Ray at raf@aidmail.com
    Thanks
    Magda

    ________________________________

    From: Ray Flaig (office) [mailto:raf@aidmail.com]
    Sent: Tue 5/13/2003 5:56 PM
    To: Magda
    Subject: Re: our phone conversation

    We just spoke about subscribing to the mail list and I was unsuccessful.
    We prepare customer databases for printing and mailing. The process for correcting and preparing databases has been done in the DOS environment for years. We now are also asked to work with doublebyte characters and Unicode. The master database of name, address, city, state and zip is in English with a unique field for each record. For some of the names we will be adding the name, address, city, state and zip to each record from a foreign database (mostly Kanji) via relational commands. Since each database has a matching unique field, we only need to add the foreign information to the master database without doing anything to change the information in the foreign database. The foreign database is the one with Unicode. We are now trying to use Visual FoxPro for this project. The foreign database is a text file and we are not able to retain the Unicode characters. We cannot view the info. in Excel or any Dos application, i.e.. . the old FoxBASE+. Is there a simple solution?
    Thank You, Ray