Re: ISO 6438, the Niamey keyboard, and ISO/TC46/SC4/WG1

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri May 16 2003 - 13:35:46 EDT

    John Hudson wrote on 05/14/2003 12:07:25 PM:

    > I don't have details on hand, but the book in which I encountered the
    > Niamey keyboard layout is entitled _A Thesaurus of African Languages_
    > edited by Michael Mann and David Dalby (London. 1987). I note that there
    > are two copies currently offered for sale on www.abe.com.

    At US$100, I'm glad to find that the library on our center has a copy. The
    entire thing is done without capitals (except the title page, which the
    publisher would have done) in order to reinforce their idea that capitals
    aren't needed for the orthographies of African languages -- a bit of
    overkill, I think.

    Anyway, I've put info on this keyboard layout on the Web at:

    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=IntlNiameyKybd

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485