Re: Decimal separator with more than one character?

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon May 19 2003 - 11:52:58 EDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote on 05/17/2003 01:29:19 PM:

    > > Strictly speaking, Unicode codepoints do not have a size in terms of
    bits.
    > > There are simply positive integers.
    >
    > I don't think so, the agreement between Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646
    > makes a clear statement that only 17 planes will be allocated, and
    > definitely fixes the range of allowed values for codepoints

    The limitation in range does not imply that the need be more than simply
    non-negative integers. Please check the definitions in UTR17 and TUS4 ch 3.

    Of course, the range of integers 0 - 0x10FFFF would require 21 bits to
    represent directly in binary. But the definition of codepoints does not
    refer in any way to binary representation.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485