Re: Persian or Farsi? (was RE: Decimal separator with more than one c haracter?)

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 06:04:46 EDT

    On Tue, 20 May 2003, Rick Cameron wrote:

    > Encyclopaedia Britannica online has an article titled 'Persian Language',
    > which starts 'also called Farsi'.

    and 'also called Dari' in Afghanistan.

    > ...so it appears to me that 'Farsi' is a well-established alternative to
    > 'Persian' among English-speakers.

    It is an alternative, yes. But the real problem is: it creates lots of
    confusion. I have encountered many developers that thought these are two
    different languages. Also, you should look both in 'F' and 'P' each time
    you want to choose a software setting, for example. Unification has the
    benefit of simplification.

    > Why should we avoid calling the language 'Farsi'?

    Because some people, specifically local linguists backed by a government,
    insist that it is wrong. Thus, it becomes politically wrong.

    roozbeh