Re: Persian or Farsi? (was RE: Decimal separator with more than one c haracter?)

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Wed May 21 2003 - 10:08:32 EDT

    On Wed, 21 May 2003, Michael (michka) Kaplan wrote:

    > In practice, neither Apple nor Microsoft (nor any other member of the
    > Consortium) is allowed to sell software in Iran at present.

    If you mean full members, this is the list that I guess won't have any
    problems to sell software in Iran: JustSystem (it's Japanese), SAP (it's
    German), Government of Pakistan, and Goverment of India.

    Anyway, all members are allowed to sell in Afghanistan, where Persian is
    one of the two official languages.

    > Now I am not saying that these users in the diaspora would not (a) come up
    > with the same answer on their own, or (b) choose to go along with the
    > preferences of those in Iran (I honestly do not know if either A or B is the
    > case). I just know that the issue is larger than just the source country,
    > especially when the primary customers are not in the source country.

    I understand. But where do you go when you encounter such a problem?
    Check the ISO standard? It says Persian. Check dictionaries published by
    Western scholars outside of Iran? They all say Persian. Even US Department
    of State, BBC, and Voice of America call it Persian.

    roozbeh