Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?

From: Theodore H. Smith (delete@elfdata.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 06:47:50 EDT

    Hi list,

    I was reading this page:

    http://www.hastingsresearch.com/net/04-unicode-limitations.shtml

    It says that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages. This is
    mostly at the bottom of the page, where it says some characters are
    left out.

    Personally, I can't say that I have a statement on this one way or the
    other. But I'd just like to hear what the Unicode experts have to say
    on this!

    To be honest, I think the best people to answer this would be anyone
    brought up in China or Japan "real world" users who know their own
    language well as well as Unicode. (Not necessarily the same as people
    of that descent as they might not know the language and also European
    descent people could have grown up in Oriental countries). And I can't
    remember hearing from those people on Unicode.

    --
         Theodore H. Smith - Macintosh Consultant / Contractor.
         My website: <www.elfdata.com/>