Re: Re: Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 00:52:22 EDT

    At 05:33 PM 5/22/03 -0700, David Starner wrote:
    >Why would it? There are a few Latin characters (AE, OE, Thorn, Eth, Sharp
    >S), a few Russian characters (those which are clearly distinct from
    >upper, lower, and small-caps Latin characters), and some more Hebrew
    >characters that might show up in printed math texts. But if they have,
    >they're very rare. What are the odds that
    >they will need styled variants on top of that?

    We have seen no evidence of AE, OE, Thorn, Eth or Sharp S being used as
    mathematical variables -- and this statement is based on a very thorough
    and wide ranging study of *actual* mathematical literatures by people who
    are involved in the publication process for such papers.

    Of the Hebrew characters are four known examples and they have all been in
    Unicode's letterlike symbols block for years and years.

    A./