RE: Persian or Farsi? (was RE: Decimal separator with more than o ne c haracter?)

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 07:38:48 EDT

    On Sun, 25 May 2003, Karl Pentzlin wrote:

    > "not preferred" or "not standard conformant" accepted, but "politically
    > incorrect"? I thought the latter requires any offensiveness (like "Eskimo"
    > vs. "Inuit") or discrimination (like "espaƱol" vs. "castellano" in
    > Spain). Is the English word "Farsi" really "bad" rather than "wrong"?

    Yes, the Iranian Academy for Persian Language and Literature considers it
    *bad*, and *requires* the government the use the word "Persian".

    Also some people from the Iranian-American community consider it *bad*.
    They consider it part of a conspiracy to disconnect the heritage from
    modern Iranians/Persian-speakers. They have compaigned a lot to make
    people like those behing Voice of America to switch to "Persian" from
    "Farsi".

    So, yes, it is politically incorrect. It is also non-standard and not
    preferred.

    roozbeh