Re: Web Form: Problems - Hebrew in Java applet

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 01:26:46 EDT

    <jacobo at arcytech dot org> wrote:

    > I am trying to include Hebrew into a Java applet and I have a
    > question. Sometimes you
    > need to include a letter with a dash underneath.
    > For example, on page:
    > http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0590.pdf you may want to
    > combine \u05D0 and \u05B7 into one
    > character. Is it possible to do that?
    > I check your FAQ but could not find an answer.

    All you have to do is encode \u05D0 followed by \u05B7.

    U+05B7 HEBREW POINT PATAH is a combining character ("non-spacing mark"),
    which means that its entire purpose in life is to combine with base
    characters such as U+05D0 HEBREW LETTER ALEF, in just the manner you
    describe.

    The dotted circle in the glyph (as shown in the PDF chart) represents
    the base character with which U+05B7 is meant to combine.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/