Re: “book end” or <enclosing characters> in most languages?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 11:09:45 EDT

    Ben Dougall <bend at freenet dot co dot uk> wrote:

    > does anyone know if characters giving a bracketing function are
    > universal to most (all?) languages in use today?: any characters, or
    > groups of chars even, that have an enclosing purpose, like quotes and
    > brackets?

    I think it is safe to assume that most, but not all, language/script
    combinations (this is important) use some kind of quotation marks and
    some kind of parentheses.

    The actual characters used for these purposes vary, not only by script
    but also by language and even country, and reference guides available in
    the U.S. often conflict as to which characters are used as first- and
    second-level quotation marks in Outer Slobovia.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/