Re: ?book end? or <enclosing characters> in most languages?

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 10:52:38 EDT

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > French usage of these quotation marks is interesting: when a quotation
    > spans several paragraphs, each paragraph starts with a quotation mark,
    > but only the last one is terminated by the mirrored mark.

    This is also the rule in English. However, it is usually only employed
    in fiction, when someone is making a long speech; in non-fiction works,
    actual quotations are usually block-indented instead.

    --
    [W]hen I wrote it I was more than a little              John Cowan
    febrile with foodpoisoning from an antique carrot       jcowan@reutershealth.com