Re: “book end” or <enclosing characters> in most languages?

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 19:05:37 EDT

    Ben Dougall asked:

    > On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 02:10 pm, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > > Interestingly, the French first-level quotation marks use what we call
    > > "chevrons" (double angle brackets).

    > are they something that's in unicode? apart from the less than and
    > greater than < > symbols i can't see anything like that.

    Double guillemets: U+00AB, U+00BB
    Guillemets: U+2039, U+203A

    In general, when people are interested in classes of characters,
    like this, a quick trip into the Unicode Character Database is
    a useful thing to do. In particular, look for the list of
    characters with the property "Quotation_Mark" in:

    http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/PropList.txt

    > thanks for the info. whenever i try and find out about this sort of
    > thing one thing always becomes very apparent. there's no blanket rules
    > that apply. at least not obvious, immediate ones.

    A general discussion of "Language-Based Usage of Quotation Marks"
    can be found in Chapter 6 of the standard:

    http://www.unicode.org/book/ch06.pdf

    --Ken