Re: U+1D29

From: Asmus Freytag (asmusf@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 19:24:14 EDT

    The proposal ISO/IEC JTC1/SC2/WG2 N2419 said this:

    >4. LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL P and GREEK LETTER SMALL CAPITAL RHO
    >(X-1D18, X-0373).
    >These letters look alike but are distinct; one is a semi-voiced [p] sound
    >contrasting with UPA p, and
    >the other is a voiceless uvular trill [R ] contrasting with UPA Ú U+03C1
    >the voiced uvular trill [R].

    This begs the question of how the *reader* of this notation will be able to
    decide which is which. This is UNLIKE the case of the latin and Greek
    alphabets, where in the context of Latin text you use P for P and in the
    Greek text you use P for RHO and keyboards will keep you honest on text
    entyr and the distinction in character code is needed for case mapping
    rather than display, since p and rho look rather different.

    In the case of UPA there would need to be the need for a similar context to
    help decide which is which, but even then, if there is no visual or context
    distinction (other than the intended meaning), it's hard to keep texts
    accurately coded.

    A./