Re: [Not OT] localized names of the Unicode Control characters

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 20:46:31 EDT

    Philippe Verdy said:

    > So I think names in both Windows and this Hapax page come
    > from a ISO10646 normative reference file in French, and it
    > contains the names for Unicode3.2 characters (but still not
    > new characters added or modified in Unicode 4.0)

    and then asked:

    > Also, as this alternate translation help understanding the
    > semantics of a character, it should be published by Unicode,
    > without requiring us to look for and buy a copy of the ISO10646
    > standard. After all the English names are normative in both
    > Unicode and ISO10646 and synchronized. Why wouldn't Unicode
    > also reference the ISO10646 French names?

    If you think about it, you've answered your own question.
    Translating the normative English names of ISO/IEC 10646 (E) takes
    awhile for the ISO/IEC 10646 (F) version. So it is very
    difficult to synchronize with an actual version release
    of the Unicode Standard.

    There is no reason in *principle* why the normative French
    names could not also be published on the Unicode website,
    but there is no easy way to coordinate that with the data
    files of the Unicode Character Database (which are part of
    particular versions of the Unicode Standard). Instead,
    someone would have to design some other means of posting
    them up.

    In the meantime, one can either purchase ISO/IEC 10646 (F),
    along with everybody else, or make use of Patrick Andries'
    generous hosting of a copy of the ListeDesNoms.htm.

    In case it isn't clear, the *normative* part is the
    list of names *in* ISO/IEC 10646 (F). The ListeDesNoms.htm
    is Patrick's translation of the Unicode data file
    NameList.txt, including all the cross-references, and
    various other informational comments, making use of
    the normative French names from ISO/IEC 10646 (F).

    --Ken