Re: Announcement: New Unicode Savvy Logo

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 08:29:04 EDT

     "William Overington" <WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

    > 1. I tried out the validation procedure on the following
    page.

    > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/font7007.htm

    > This is a not too lengthy web page with just Basic Latin
    letters. It will
    > not validate. It is not clear to me what I need to add to the
    page to get
    > it to validate. Could there be some very short guidance notes
    please so
    > that people can try for validation for Unicode Savvy
    validation easily. For
    > example, suggesting the one or two lines of HTML which need to
    be
    > added in various circumstances.

    William,

    If you want this to validate you should have a doctype line at
    the very start of the page like:
    (this should vary depending on which HTML DTD your document
    conforms to)

     If you are using UTF-8 you should have a line like:
    charset=utf-8">
    in the header section of your page.

    You should have closing tags to match your opening tags (e.g.
    you have <P> at the start of paragraphs but no closing </P> at
    the end).

    Generally it is now recomended to use CSS type markup rather
    than tags like "<FONT FACE=FACE="Tahoma" SIZE=5
    COLOR="#0000ff">"

    For the first paragraph of this page "Quest Text Font" why
    aren't you using <H1></H1> tags instead of <P></P>? This would
    indicate it is the title or heading of the page.

    All in all it looks to me like you need to learn a little bit
    more about HTML or XHTML

    I'd also suggest you run your pages through HTML Tidy
    [available from http://tidy.sourceforge.net/ ] before you try
    and validate them. This will pick up a lot of errors.

    - Chris