PUA again (was Re: Rare extinct latin letters)

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 04:48:13 EDT

    "William Overington" <WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

    > I am wondering whether the range from U+F200 through to
    > U+F2FF is being used by anyone for anything.

    By its very nature anyone can use PUA codepints for anything and
    I'm sure by
     now someone is already using those codepoints for something* -
    and probably several different people are using them for several
    different things. I think it's silly to even suggest that there
    are any PUA codepoints on the BMP which remain unused by anyone.

    * e.g. Some Microsoft software maps the EUDC characters in the
    widely used Big-5 encoding for Chinese to the Unicode PUA range
    U+E000 to U+F848 - specifically Chinese Big 5 EUDC characters
    8140 - 8DFE are mapped to Unicode U+EEB8 - U+F6B0.
    see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us
    /w98ddk/hh/w98ddk/intl_8q2h.asp

    If you want to avoid all conflict with other people's existing
    usage of the PUA, your only chances are in the PUA areas beyond
    plane 0 - and of course there's no guarantee that someone else
    won't decide to use whatever codepoints you choose there for
    their own private purposes.

    - Chris