Re: Fw: Unicode filename problems

From: David Starner (dvdeug@ispwest.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 14:57:22 EDT

    On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 01:25:23PM +0200, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    > When Unix/Linux reads a CDROM catalog, most often it will first
    > display a RockRidge catalog if present (which allows mapping UFS
    > semantics and attriutes), ignoring the Joliet catalog, and then
    > fallback to the basic ISO9660 catalog.

    Not true. Linux reads Joliet catalogs if a RockRidge catalog can't be
    found. I'm not sure how it deals with Unicode, but I believe the
    utf8 option in /etc/fstab will let you set this.

    > If the Windows output is "garbled", it just means that the Joliet
    > extension created by your Linux tool is not correctly encoded

    Using mkisofs, -input-charset needs to be used to set the filesystem
    character set.

    > So it
    > is much better to create CDROMs that use only the portable ISO9660
    > format,

    Why? RockRidge and Joliet work just fine.

    --
    David Starner - dvdeug@email.ro
    Ic sæt me on anum leahtrice, ða com heo and bát me!