RE: Classification of U+30FC KATAKANA-HIRAGANA PROLONGED SOUND MA RK

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Thu Jun 05 2003 - 08:30:07 EDT

    Rob Mount
    > Q1: Can a character be both alphabetic and diacritic?

    I would say yes. My understanding of the "Lm" general category is: "a
    diacritic letter".

    > Q2: Is there a difinitive answer as to whether this is an alphabetic
    > character?

    Strictly speaking, as katakana and hiragana are not alphabets, their letters
    cannot be called "alphabetic".

    But I guess that you mean "alphabetic" is the sense that isalpha() should
    return TRUE for it, i.e. in the sense that it is a character used to write
    *words* in the orthography of some language. In this sense, yes, IMHO:
    isalpha() should return true for all the characters having general category
    "L...".

    _ Marco