Maintenance of ISO 3166-2 (was: Address of ISO 3166 mailing list)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 02:36:15 EDT

    Philippe Verdy <verdy_p at wanadoo dot fr> wrote:

    > However ISO3166-2 is completely outdated and unmaintained by many
    > governments (including a lot of typos or even incorrect codes...).

    Governments don't update ISO 3166-2; the Maintenance Agency has done so
    several times, most recently in December 2002, in response to changes
    submitted by various governmental agencies.

    For example, the ISO 3166-2 code for the Canadian province of
    Newfoundland and Labrador (formerly just "Newfoundland") was recently
    changed from CA-NF to CA-NL, in keeping with changes to Canada Post
    abbreviations. While this may represent "over-maintaining," as John
    Cowan put it, it does show that 3166-2 is being kept up-to-date. Many
    other reference sources still list NF for "Newfoundland."

    If you believe there are incorrect codes in ISO 3166-2, I'd be
    interested in knowing about them, and I'm sure the MA would as well.
    (Please respond off-list, since this thread -- interesting though it may
    be -- has nothing to do with Unicode.) Be sure you're looking at the
    latest version of 3166-2, including all the newsletter updates.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/