Re: Looking for two mathematical characters

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 20:19:09 EDT

    Philippe Verdy noted:

    > In the APL subblock of the Misc.Technical block,

    The APL range (not "subblock") of the Miscellaneous Technical block
    is U+2336..U+237A, so the following characters are not part of that
    APL range:

    > the character "⌟" (U+231F)
    > is also a small bottom-right corner operator, and "⌋" (U+230B) is the second
    > (right) character of a floor operator, which can combine with "⌊" (U+230A)
    > the first (left) one in the pair. Its representative metrics seems quite good to
    > align it with the "n" exponent-order. On Windows, with MS fonts, they are
    > supported only with "Arial Unicode MS" (part of Office, not of core Windows
    > fonts). May be the Code2000 font has them. The floor characters exist however
    > in "Lucida Sans Unicode".

    I'll leave to the mathematicians the exercise of determining whether
    U+230B RIGHT FLOOR makes sense for the usage Patrick was talking about,
    but I don't think the quine corners (including U+231F) would be
    appropriate.

    > Floor pairs of characters also exist in non-Unicode fonts like "Symbol", which
    > maps the floor pair at 0xEB and 0xFB (with the Symbol encoding, originally
    > defined in PostScript). But it seem that they were initially intended to create
    > tall square brackets, by joining 2 or more characters vertically.

    Yes, and those now have Unicode mappings, not to the floor and ceiling
    characters noted above, but to dedicated encodings of the PostScript
    glyph parts:

    23A1 LEFT SQUARE BRACKET UPPER CORNER
    23A3 LEFT SQUARE BRACKET LOWER CORNER
    23A4 RIGHT SQUARE BRACKET UPPER CORNER