Re: Chinese "departing" tone marks

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 09:28:12 EDT

    Andrew C. West wrote on 06/20/2003 03:59:10 AM:

    > I noticed that in Yuan Jiahua's authoritative overview of Chinese
    dialects,
    > _Hanyu Fangyan Gaiyao_ (2nd ed., 1980), he uses left-stemmed mirrors of
    the
    > ordinary right-stemmed tone marks to indicate tone sandhi, the unmutated
    tone
    > having a right stem, immediately followed by the mutated tone with aleft
    stem

    Just so -- these left vs. right stems are distinct for Chinese linguists,
    which is why I have planned to proposed five left-stemmed tone letters.

    > (I can send you a scan off-list if you want). The examples he gives
    include
    > marks that look identical to U+02EA and U+02EB, as well as many
    > other left- and
    > right-stemmed tone marks that are not currently encoded in Unicode. Are
    these
    > the subject of your proposal by any chance ?

    Hard to say without seeing them, but if they are simply contours, then
    those are already supported in Unicode by means of ligatures of the five
    already there. If it's something else, go ahead and send me the scan (with
    bibliographic details, please); if it's just contours, then I've got
    samples.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485