Re: Problem with Arial Unicode MS font for BOLD/ITALICS in PDF

From: Richard Cook (rscook@socrates.berkeley.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 20 2003 - 19:45:00 EDT

    On Friday, June 20, 2003, at 02:44 , Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > What is true is that use of italicized text is unusual
    > in Chinese or Japanese body text--certainly not with the frequency
    > or same range of functions as occurs in Latin typography.
    > Bold text is not that unusual, however.

    In precomputer Chinese, it would be very unusual to see italics or bold.
    The place of both is filled with point size differences, brackets/quotes
    of various styles, underlining (straight or saw-toothed, single or
    double). In later times, even with computerized font faces, it's my
    impression that italics and bold are not quite suitable for formal
    writing. Of course, in pop e-print, nearly everything that can be done
    to a character is done ... including Bold-Ital-Outline-Shadow ...