Re: Classification of U+30FC KATAKANA-HIRAGANA PROLONGED SOUND MARK

From: Kino (quinon@rio.odn.ne.jp)
Date: Sun Jun 22 2003 - 00:04:32 EDT

    On Sunday, Jun 22, 2003, at 09:06 Asia/Tokyo, Philippe Verdy wrote:

    > For the case of a prolonged sound mark after a Latin letter, I don't
    > know
    > how to classify this usage, but my translator persisted to say it was
    > correct, and refused to insert a space before it (and he was probably
    > right if it's effectively interpreted as an extender of the last
    > vowel, even
    > if it's a latin vowel...

    Not everyone knows well about characterset/charactercode. So it is very
    often that a native speaker makes a mistake of this kind.

    Well, U+30FC (KATAKANA-HIRAGANA PROLONGED SOUND MARK, Shift_JIS 213C)
    *should* be used only after a hiragana-katakana letter. As to
    separator(?), we *should* use two consecutive U+2014 (EM DASH,
    Shift_JIS 213D).

    However some people use a single U+2014 as PROLONGED SOUND MARK often
    unknowingly but sometimes knowingly preferring the character shape of
    U+2014 to that of U+30FC.

    The use of U+30FC instead of two U+2014 is simply wrong. Many Japanese
    people are affected by this mistake presumably because they would not
    know U+2014 (Shift_JIS 213D) is different from U+30FC (Shift_JIS 213C)
    and/or U+30FC would be easier to enter than U+2014 via Japanese Input
    method. However you would not need to correct your translator. Japanese
    publishers seem to be well aware of common mistakes of this kind ;-)

    Kino