Re: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 10:31:51 EDT

    On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:05:26 +0400, "Valeriy E. Ushakov" wrote:

    > Err, as in this particular case one vowel sign is above and the other
    > one is below the stack - i.e. they don't interact spatially - you
    > cannot really distinguish them. ;)

    I know that the vowel signs do not interact with each other typographically, but
    what's that got to do with anything ? I'm talking about the logical ordering of
    the Unicode codepoints used to encode some Tibetan text, not the physical
    appearance of the glyphs that are used to render that sequence of codepoints.

    What I'm suggesting is that although "cui" <0F45, 0F74, 0F72> and "ciu" <0F45,
    0F72, 0F74> should be rendered identically, the logical ordering of the
    codepoints representing the vowels may represent lexical differences that would
    be lost during the process of normalisation.

    Andrew