Re: Revised N2586R

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 11:55:05 EDT

    Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

    >>> Similarly, the fleur-de-lis is a well-known named symbol which can
    >>> be used to represent a number of things.
    >>
    >> In text? I've seen it on flags, on license plates, on heraldic
    >> crests, but can't recall seeing it in text.
    >
    > I don't have access to a Scout manual here.... ;-)

    I do. There's a whole nice page explaining the various parts of the Boy
    Scout badge. (It's more than just a fleur-de-lis; there's an eagle, a
    shield, two stars, a loop, and a scroll with the words "BE PREPARED.")
    But nowhere is it used in running text, as a dingbat or otherwise.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/