Re: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels

From: Rick McGowan (rick@unicode.org)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 12:29:17 EDT

    Andrew C West wrote...

    > What I'm suggesting is that although "cui" <0F45, 0F74, 0F72> and "ciu"
    > <0F45, 0F72, 0F74> should be rendered identically, the logical ordering
    > of the codepoints representing the vowels may represent lexical differences
    > that would be lost during the process of normalisation.

    If there isn't a visual difference here, how could there be a lexical
    difference? Imagine the age before computers. All you have to go on is
    what's on the page. There isn't an inherent order in those elements; they
    could have been written by the scribe in any order. If they appear the
    same, you can't assign different meanings -- except by some extra-syllabic
    informational context... right?

            Rick