Re: Biblical Hebrew (Was: Major Defect in Combining Classes of Tibetan Vowels)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 03:43:09 EDT

    Karljürgen Feuerherm wrote on 06/25/2003 08:31:41 PM:

    > I was going to suggest something very similar, a ZW-pseudo-consonant of
    some
    > kind, which would force each vowel to be associated with one consonant.

    An invisible *consonant* doesn't make sense because the problem involves
    more than just multiple written vowels on one consonant; in fact, that is
    a small portion of the general problem. If we want such a character, it
    would notionally be a zero-width-canonical-ordering-inhibiter, and nothing
    more.

    And I don't particular want to think about what happens when people start
    sticking this thing into sequences other than Biblical Hebrew ("in
    unicode, any sequence is legal").

    > General question: when does canonical reordering take place? At input
    time,
    > at rendering time, at another time?

    For the purpose for which canonical ordering was intended, it occurs when
    comparing two strings for "equality" or ordering. In practice, it can
    occur at *any* time, including transmission (when it is no longer under
    the control of the author). Some protocols, and notably W3C protocols,
    require that data be canonically ordered, and recommend that this happen
    at the earliest point possible, e.g. at input time.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485